Pin It button on image hover

Monday, November 28, 2016

Flat Aggie in Delaware

What another wonderful trip it has been to Delaware, you know a few years back I was here in the spring and things have changed a bit here. Some on the farming operation in which I visited and some in the climate from what I remember it was much warmer here on my last visit. This time it was a bit chilly overnight though we did have some decent daytime temperatures. Nonetheless, the experiences I have at Cory's produce in Delaware have been again once in a life time. Delaware is located on the east cost, consist of 3 counties, and is a peninsula. Besides being the first state, Delaware is known to be the Lima bean capital worldwide, and Sussex County in which I visited is the largest poultry producing county in the U.S. Pretty cool, huh?

Well, while I was here I got to see a lot of cool stuff.  I was able to walk through some soybeans and check them for maturity before harvesting them. 
 
I got to haul a load of soybeans to the local elevator in which the soybeans are shipped down the Nanticoke river by Barge. 
 
Corn harvest was over by the time I got here but I saw many producers including Cory's produce spreading numerous wintering crops to help improve soil health by decreasing run off and erosion over winter. It was pretty cool to see that something green was always growing. 

While I was here I got to experience the first shotgun deer season of the year in Delaware and my do people get pumped about that. I was able to go one day with Cory, though as harvest continued on we didn't get another chance to go. 

Besides the climate change on this trip from last trip here a Cory's Produce has made some big changes. They added solar panels to the operation.  To utilize space they were able to install the solar panels on the top of the poultry barn. Lastly, Cory is now a dealer for Channel Brand Seed (corn, soybeans, sorghum, and alfalfa) and I was able to go may some visits and discuss with some other producers their product order for 2017.

Finally, I just want to thank Cory of Cory's Produce for this time these past few weeks. At times, things get hectic at harvest and many times he could of done without me tagging along. Though we got as many shots as we could and he only left me behind once.

To see more reports from Cory's Produce go to:
 
Inside a chicken barn in the largest poultry producing county in the nation.
 
 
Lima Bean Harvest



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment.